Friday, January 27, 2012

Reverse Appliqued Pillow

I had been wanting to make one of these pillows for a VERY long time, but had just never done it. I kept putting this idea at the bottom of the stack and just kept thinking about the possibilities. Well.....my 13 year old nephew needed a gift and he is very hard to get things for. He is very logical, super brainy, and very science/math oriented but not into regular kinds of toys - he likes really expensive electronic stuff. Preferably that he can take apart, figure out and put back together again - and he is good!!
When I was racking my brain for a gift, this idea just popped into my head and I thought, "This is perfect!!". I cut one piece of knit jersey into a 36" X 18" rectangle (the grey) and I cut the dark blue jersey into an 18"X18" square.
Pinned the dark blue to the grey and freehand wrote his name on the fabric.
Then I pinned around it with WAY, WAY too many pins and sewed on the lines!! I had to stop pretty much every other stitch or so to take them out, but I was worried about slippage and I didn't want to have to unpick and start over.
The I cut away the dark blue inside the stitching and presto!! A fun pillow for my nephew. I put a 16" pillow form inside and it worked out pretty well. My nephew LOVED it - he carried it around all the time while he was here visiting.

The tutorial I used is here.

For more finished objects, take a look at the wonderful things posted at Tami's.

3 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

How thoughtful! When my step-daughter was just a bit younger than that we made her letter-shaped pillows that spelled out her name. She loved them too!

Affiknitty said...

What a great gift for your nephew. Sounds like it was well-received too which is always fun. : )

hakucho said...

Very cool! A one of a kind gift...how nice :)