Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesday Tallies

The class quilts are done and hanging in the classrooms until later this week when I take them down and bring them to be hung at the auction site. It seems as if everyone likes them, so I am hopeful we can bring in some good money - we need so many things at the school.
Here are the next 7 hexies. If you look closely, there are 2 that are smaller than the rest. As I was trying to make some of those cute hexies from charts that clever people have designed, I realized that I have been making my puffs two rows less than they should be! ARRGH!! I am not going to re-do all the ones I have already made - I am hoping that I can kind of "wing it" when I am sewing them together. Notice the striped one up there, you will see more of those to come. Also, I think I am going to try some Mario Bros Characters soon. This is the perfect project to learn new skills!
The next 7 fish. Only 5 more to knit *sigh*. Yes, I am glad to see this project nearing it's end, but somehow I think I am going to miss knitting fish. Crazy, I know!
I didn't have time to sew all the squares from the last couple of weeks into the next section, but I did knit 7 squares for the third section. I don't think I will ever get tired of these. They make up so quickly, if I let myself I think I could be done with the crochet in a week or so!
This blanket is quite clever in it's construction. Instead of knitting up tons of little kites and then sewing them together, you pick up the sides of two previously knitted kites and knit up just like you have started a new one.

The kites with the stitch markers laying on them are the new kites, I have 6 regular ones and then started one big one at the top. These kites are becoming an addiction! I love to see the new ones "growing" out of the blanket.

There is one big mistake though - the directions said to start with a provisional cast-on, but since (in true form for me) I hadn't really read the pattern through and couldn't imagine why you might need this type of cast-on (and I don't know how to do that kind of cast-on yet), I just went ahead and used a long tail cast-on. Well.......you need the live stitches provided by the provisional cast-on at the edges to make an I-cord edging. The next "free" squares I make, I will make with the provisional cast-on and I will hope that just picking up and knitting some stitches at the edge of what I already have will be "good enough".

The original pattern can be found here and was made with sock yarn. Mine is being made from cotton so hopefully will go a bit faster, but will not have as many kites.

2 comments:

hakucho said...

Not having to sew all these squares together...now that is a very good thing :)

Kepanie said...

Wowzers! You are so productive and are doing a terrific job!