I finally got all the squares designed by the kids. As you can see, there is a wide variety of styles and tastes.I tried many different ways to put them together. I wanted to balance the very colorful with the less colorful - the tanks and guns with the rainbows and peace signs - the minimalist with the total coverage squares. I came up with a layout that seemed to accomplish all these things.
This is the top 5 squares sewn together. It will be the top of the quilt.
The next 5 with sashing in between the rows.
Third row. I am not sure now why I took these pictures at each row, but I really like the progression of the quilt. This is my second quilt - the first one I made in a class.
All the squares sewn together with the sashing.At last.....with a border. I really like the dark sashing and border - I feel like it frames the students' work quite nicely.
Next is putting all the layers together, then quilting it, and finally putting on the binding. Whew!! Quite a bit left. Then there is the quilt for the first grade class :o)