Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I can crochet!

Presenting - ta da
The Rook Hat by Sophia at yarnovermanhattan
I really like the fabric that was created with this yarn and the stitch. I am sure that this is really easy for a lot of folks, but at the beginning it was a challenge for me. I soon found that I liked the tempo of the single crochets broken periodically by the "V" rounds.


A closer look at the stitch pattern. It is a little hard to see, but if you look closely at the lighter part you will see an elongated row of stitches. It's pretty cool how this is created.
Rook Hat
Started: 10/14/08
Finished: 10/18/08
Gifted: not yet - intended for dh
Crochet Hook size K
Yarn: Moda Dea Tweedle Dee Shaded Effect Yarn
Color: #8919 Surf & Turf
Lot: #83
I only had to rip this once at the very beginning. The pattern is very well written and easy to follow - even for someone new to crochet :o) I am now in the middle of a matching scarf to go along with it.


The normal Majan Hat Pattern.
Started: 10/9/08
Finished: 10/14/08
Gifted: TO ME!!
Needles: US7
Yarn: Zara Teza, Color: 101 White, Lot: 58636
Plymouth Yarn Encore, Color: 1317 Teal, Lot: 36788
Modifications: I chose to do this in the spiral method - using both the white and the teal at the same time. I added one more round of increases in the crown and added one more pattern repeat of 3k rows, 2p rows to the sides. This hat has the picot bind off edging. This is my new favorite edging. I love the hat, but if I make another one for myself (which I may have to do since this one is in high demand!), I will add another two pattern repeats to the sides - this one hits at about the half way mark on my ear and I kind of like my hats to completely cover my ears. The better to block out the sound of kid squabbling :o)



2 comments:

mr. monkeysuit said...

Love those hats, that crochet stitch is very cool.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What lovely hats!! We are just heading into summer but this would be a great project for next autumn - just gorgeous!!