Sunday, November 4, 2007

Projects from Camp Knit-A-Way

I love shadow knitting!! I simply cannot wrap my mind around how someone actually figured out and came up with a pattern that will look like this from straight on:


And this from the side. It boggles my brain! I think it is so very cool! This will be one of my oldest daughter's holiday gifts. She has already seen it and loves it, but does not know that it will eventually be a scarf and will be for her. She loves playing the piano so this is very appropriate for her. I can't wait to finish it and then to see her face when she pulls it out of the box!!

Dyed yarn with kool aid and food coloring. The green one is with food coloring and the purple and variegated are from kool aid. I can't even tell you which flavor because at our table we were kind of mixing things up and using eachother's cups of color, but I am very happy with them. I think this will be a fun thing to do with the kids this summer.

The Kumihimo that I was talking about yesterday. This is the disk that we use to make the braids. The bobbins hold some of the yarn that we dyed with one of them combined with a sparkly thread. The braids are made by moving the threads in a pattern as you go around the disk. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. It's quite relaxing and is something that my almost 6 year old daughter and I do in the afternoons sometimes. It is really nice to just sit next to her and work on it.




The back of the disk with the braid coming out. So cool and amazing how this process works!



A close up of the braid. At first I really didn't think my colors of yarn would go together, but I decided to just "go for it" and I really do like it. When this one is done I think I will add a clasp and give it to DD who has been helping with it as a bracelet. I see much more of this in my future (if I can tear myself away from my knitting needles - they seem to occupy most of my so called "free time")!








No comments: