This is how I decided to quilt the border - in diagonal lines 1.5 inches apart. Gotta love the stitch guide that is included with the new walking foot I purchased for my machine. Notice all the loose threads in the picture above - Each row of stitching had 4 of these - they had to be woven in. It really didn't take all that long. Just one show on TV and we were done.
Here is how the quilt looks with all the quilting done. I did not go back and rip out the stitch-in-the ditch quilting in the body of the quilt. I did as told, stood a few feet away and decided that it looked just fine.
A picture of the back. If you look too closely at the rows of stitching, you will notice that some of them are slightly curved and the last two are not equidistant from eachother, but again, as I stood back from it I thought it was ok.
Another shot of the back diagonal rows where they meet up with the main body quilting - not too bad for a first timer :o)
This is the thread I used for quilting it. I just kind of fell in love with it after a fellow classmate showed it to me. It has all the colors of the quilt in it - I realize now that if I had chosen a more neutral color my wobbly stitching wouldn't have shown up quite as much, but I don't think I would change anything. The bright color on the back is really kind of nice. Thanks so much Vicki for encouraging me to continue! This was so much fun I have already picked out and cut fabric for my next quilt!! I feel another obsession coming on!