Friday, April 23, 2010

Santa Ornament

This is a little Santa Star Ornament for Christmas. I have long wished to cross stitch ornaments for our tree, but thought that aida cloth would not be stiff enough to withstand years of being placed into and dragged out of the ornament box by my children. This little guy is stitched on plastic canvas and I believe he will be fine.

I used three strands of DMC floss both for the cross stitches and for the outlining. I was unsure if this would be enought, but it appears that it is. The coverage is very nice with no plastic canvas showing through.
A picture of the back. Many, many years ago when our first child was born, I met a woman from Australia and we became great friends. Her mom was an avid cross stitcher and sent my friend lots and lots of items that had been cross stitched for the baby. Some of these were bibs. Her work was so fantastic!! The back looked so neat and perfect. It made me think of the backs of my works and sadly they were lacking. This ornament, while not perfect and no where as neat as my friend's mom's work, is quite an improvement over some of my earlier work.
Santa, all trimmed. The only thing I am not so happy about is the border of plastic canvas that can be seen all the way around the ornament. I tried to whipstitch around the outside with a gold metallic thread, but not only was that thread a bear to work with, it did not cover all those corners - so I ripped it out.
I decided that I wanted a more finished look for the back. This is just felt stitched onto the ornament. It's a nice little ornament.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this Santa! I always like to see different ideas for cross stitch and plastic canvas done together. Both are my passion and love to combine the two. Wonderful job!
Mary-Anne
Oakhaven Designs (member)