Thursday, November 25, 2010

Having Fun!

I worked up my courage and finally finished this quilt! It only needed to be trimmed and then the binding sewn, but that seemed so overwhelming for awhile that it was left on the "To Be Finished Pile". Believe me, that pile is quite large!
I took the quilt out and worked on it for a few nights.
And.....Presto, it's done (funny how that works). The binding is handsewn - it's not quite perfect, as the picture shows, but it will do. It's been washed and dried and I really love the way the fabric crinkles after that's been done :o) Now it's ready for our family holiday gift exchange!!
I bought this book a little bit ago because American Girl Dolls are the rage over here with two of my girls. I simply cannot justify buying all those expensive clothes from the catalog - while they are very nice, it's just too much. Youngest daughter will turn 9 on Saturday and she simply loves her doll - so I decided a new outfit for Chrissa was in order.
The wee shirt - at first I really, really disliked sewing this. I don't think my big, huge hands were meant to work on things this small (for knitting, yes - sewing, not so much). But after a bit, just like most things, it grew on me and I decided I like it a lot. I did make one change - the pattern call for snaps underneath the buttons and I changed those to teeny, tiny velcro circles. I think there will be less pulling and wear and tear with velcro. And I hate snaps anyway :o)
I simply love these pants!! I love the fabric, I love how easily they went together, and they fit perfectly. Yes, I tried the clothes on her doll just to make sure.
Could that pocket be any cuter???
So.....out of scraps and some new binding for the facing, a new outfit for less than $5. I can't wait until she opens her gift! I think I'm as bad as the kids!! It's the waiting to see their faces when they open their gifts that excites me. Especially when I think it's something they will totally like!! Only 2 more days :o)







2 comments:

hakucho said...

I love your quilt! You did a great job on the doll clothes. Just be glad you weren't making clothes for Barbie ;) Those are even smaller :) You'll have to take a picture of her doll modeling the outfit :)

Shari said...

I've seen this book before and thought the patterns looked cute. I really like the tank top and shorts on the cover. Did you think they were well written/easy to follow?