Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Project

This is my new project. It is a blanket. My sister-in-law's mom gave me the pattern. She had made one for my niece (her granddaughter) for the holidays and it is gorgeous. I knew right away that I wanted to make one. The pattern is an old Bernat Pattern - style no 2447-229 and is super easy.
The pattern is knit in five strips of 7 squares each. Then the strips are sewn together - very easy and straight forward. Well.......I ran into a little bit of trouble when I decided to change to overall size of the blanket. Originally the blanket would be 50 X 58. I wanted to wind up with a blanket that was more the size of a traditional lap quilt which is approximately 60 X 72. Soooooo, I knit up a swatch, measured, did some rudimentary math and was on my way. I didn't measure after the first square was done, nor the 2nd, nor the 3rd, nor the 4th, nor the 5th - by the time I was part way through the 6th square on the first strip, I was beginning to think that maybe this was going to be a little longer than I had intended - did I measure?? NO! I happily continued on my knitting way totally enjoying the pattern and the changing of the colors. As soon as I was beginning to get tired of one color, I got to change up the colors and all was good. Now I bound off the strip - my husband says, "WOW, that is really long." I layed it on the floor and we measured the length - a Whopping 991/2" long - no way am I gonna take it apart and knit it smaller - it is just going to be one. really. big. big. blanket! Maybe I should join my 4yo who will enter Kindergarten in the fall. It appears I need to brush up on those math facts.....

I tried to get a closeup of the stitch pattern and color
The colors are pretty accurate. What is not apparent are the bobbles.
There are tiny little bobble looking things created by knitting in the stitch one row below. Overall a very pleasing pattern to both look at and knit.
This is strip #2 - looks much the same as strip #1, but the order of the squares are different.
From the side. I really like how fluffy it looks and feels.
The yarn is Lion Brand Homespun. I chose this yarn because it is soft and I can wash and dry it which is a must in a house of 5 kids, multitudes of friends, and a dog.

1 comment:

hakucho said...

I like that you are doing the blanket in strips...less to sew later! It would be nice for a twin could tuck it in at the end nicely :)

happy knitting :)