Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mini Wrapfolio

My youngest child is 5 years old today. Why does that seem so old? Why do I feel as if I am losing my baby (it's not as if he's going away to college or getting married)? I am rejoicing in all the new things he can do - writing, reading a little, riding his bike with training wheels, etc. - but am missing the little baby. OK! Enough of that!@!!
I saw this idea of a wrapfolio in a magazine and knew right away that it was perfect for him. He loves to "write" and draw. So I decided to make him one for his birthday. This actually looks nothing like the magazine picture. The one in the magazine is gorgeous - it has strips of fabric and is quilted. My original idea whas to find several pirate themed fabrics and cut them in strips and copy the magazine. I found lots of pirate fabric at JoAnn Fabrics in the clearance section and was all set to purchase them and then thought about it for a moment.......if I cut them into strips, a lot of the motifs would be obliterated.....I didn't really want to do that. I decided to just use two pirate fabrics - one for the outside and one for the inside and I found a red fat quarter to use for the pocket. I was all set!
The picture above is the outside of the wrapfolio. I think my son will totally love it!! The picture below is the inside. What I failed to think about initially was that the pocket would cover up most of the inside fabric. What to do?????
As you can see, I just cut out the pirate from some of the left over fabric and appliqued it to the pocket before it was all sewed up. Worked like a charm and is kind of cute.
This wrapfolio does not close completely because the pad of paper I chose is a wee bit too big - so next time I will either make the wrapfolio longer or choose a smaller pad. This will work perfectly for today and I think my son will love it!!
I had to include the picture from the magazine. See how beautiful these are? Eventually I will try out one of these - probably for holiday gifts. This pattern is in the February 2010 issue of Crafts 'n Things. The designers are Sue Bleiweiss and Terri Stegmiller (www.twocreativestudios.com). Just in case you want to know :o)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your wrapfolio came out great!

Marsha said...

Great project! I invite you to enter my Valentine giveaway. You could win a pink, bead-knitted purse, hand-knit by me, with a chocolate bar charm.

S.W.A.K.