Saturday, June 6, 2009

9 patch squares

I have always wanted to know how to quilt. I read a few quilting blogs and buy quilting magazines quite frequently, but the "idea" of actually making one has been intimidating to say the least. For a while now I have been reading Amanda Jean's blog. She makes such lovely quilts and lots of them - I have been really envious of what she can do! Well....a little while back she started a quilt-a-long. Just make one 9 patch square a day and you will have a completed quilt by the end of summer. That sounded like something I could do. We were supposed to use scraps but I don't have enough. What I did have were a bunch a fat quarters that I had picked up some time ago (not even on sale!!!) that I really liked - I checked and it appears that I have enough!


Here are sqares 10 & 11. I love them!
Here are all 11 together. Now, true to my form, I have not been making one a day. I think the group is somewhere in their 40ths blocks and I only have 11. But these 11 squares are great for me. I never thought I'd be able to make even these!!

Here is a close up of one of the squares that shows the fabric more clearly. I just cut out enough fabric for the next 11 squares and hopefully in the next couple of days I will be able to sew them up also!! Some of the corners don't line up, and some of the squares are bigger than others, and before I realized which way to press the seams I pressed them open - but I think this will be a great experience! I am looking forward to completing the next 11 squares!



1 comment:

KimP said...

Hey, you are doing great! The nine patch was the very first quilt block I ever did - you get a lot of bang for the buck. Keep at it and you will be so pleased with the results!S