This picture comprises the first four installments. I have been looking at all the other trees in our group and they are all very lovely and all different. I have a few issues with my own though. Firstly, I am not sure I like the way the hand dyed thread I chose for the trunk of the tree looks striped. I was picturing in my head a more motled look....hmmm.....do you know any striped trees out there?
This picture really shows where I ran into trouble. I loved the french knots and think those are ok. I also really liked the smyrna stitches - those were pretty fun. Then came the eyelets - I have struggled mightily with these. They are not exactly in the right places - I had trouble seeing where to place the stitches. The linen is giving my trouble too - the threads are not an even thickness and I found it hard to count and figure out where to place other design elements like the branch at the top. It is woefully out of place as are the eyelets right underneath it. I have decided to wait for the next part of this design to see if I need to take them out or if I can capitalize on my mistake and call it a design element. All in all I am having great fun with this. I love to try new things and I know with practice all these little challenges I am running into will clear themselves up, but as usual I am impatient with myself!